This year marks the 12th anniversary of the Agnesian HealthCare Foundation’s Garden Walk & Art Fair. During that time, area gardens have been graciously opened to the public to support various programs and services at St. Agnes Hospital.
This year’s Garden Walk & Art Fair – scheduled for Sunday, July 13 – will support the Community Care Fund, which assists the medical needs of the uninsured or underinsured.
Area garden enthusiasts are invited to attend and bring a friend! The 2014 Garden Walk & Art Fair is set from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., rain or shine.
Six beautiful gardens will be featured this year. Guests are also invited to an exciting Art Fair with unique items from talented area artists at W3950 Highway 23, Fond du Lac.
“We hope that friends, families and others will come together to spend a wonderful Sunday afternoon visiting an outstanding selection of some of Fond du Lac's most beautiful gardens,” says Rita Meidam, Agnesian HealthCare Foundation executive director. “Individuals can stroll through to view unique and creative displays in landscaping, plants, flowers and water features. And, our garden hosts will be present to answer any questions.”
Tickets are available for $15 at Agnesian HealthCare Information Desks, Agnesian HealthCare Foundation, Waupun Memorial Hospital Information Desk and Stuart’s Landscaping & Garden Center. Tickets will also be available for purchase at each of the garden locations the day of the event. For more information, call (920) 926-4959.
This year’s garden properties are located at:
- W2545 Blackberry Drive, Mt. Calvary (Steve & Mary Zimmerman): Steve and Mary’s patio is surrounded by the sights, sounds and scents of colorful annuals; perennials thoughtfully collected over the years; birds feeding; and water cascading into a pondless water feature. A short walk takes you to the Amish-built playhouse. Stroll through the cool, carefully-planned woodland paths to a play area and memorial garden.
- W3950 Highway 23, Fond du Lac (Art Fair: Free SPIRIT Riders): The Sensory Garden is a quarter-acre spot of land maintained and updated annually by Master Gardeners of Fond du Lac County. The garden features a bird sanctuary, butterfly garden, herb garden, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, trees, whimsical birdhouses and a gazebo. The stonework allows individuals in wheelchairs to get close to the plants to touch and feel the textures, smell the aromas, and even taste if they wish.
- W3879 Somerset Court, Fond du Lac (Dave & Sue Head): Dave and Sue are proud to showcase their work surrounding their lawn, foundation, plantings and borders. Their goal has been to keep this special area bird friendly, native and simple. This beautiful garden features choke cherry, spirea, blue muffin viburnum, wine and roses weigela, service berry, dogwoods, assorted perennials, arborvitaes and juniper.
- 560 Russell Street, Fond du Lac (Jim & Sandra Caliva): The theme for the Caliva’s garden is fitting: “Memories and Angels.” This small, relaxing garden shares a small waterfall feature in memory of a lost son. An angel is standing nearby. Plants continue to flourish from their parents’ funeral baskets for more than 13 years. You’ll see smaller Angels peeking out in different areas. There are two large petrified logs from the 1871 Peshtigo fire, 142 years ago.
- 491 Highland Court, Fond du Lac (Gerald & Sue Dorst): Follow the path to this enchanted cottage garden on a quiet, hidden street in the middle of the city. It is lined with white picket fences and an arbor. Clematis and climbing roses are abundant in this garden along with a variety of perennials and hydrangeas. A vegetable garden is included in this cottage charm and topped off with flowering window boxes as a final touch.
- 484 Highland Court, Fond du Lac (Ruth Iacoviello): This whimsical garden starts in the front yard with paths lined with butterfly bushes, roses, lilies and hibiscus. The paths connect to walkways, boasting gardens filled with cone-flowers, black eyed susans, hydrangeas and hostas galore! A backyard deck features a 55-foot cement walkway embedded with glass, jewelry and pavers.
Stuart’s Landscaping & Garden Center, and Commonwealth Landscape & Maintenance are helping to sponsor the event.
Photo caption: Garden enthusiasts will enjoy the six beautiful gardens that are part of this year’s Garden Walk & Art Fair, sponsored by the Agnesian HealthCare Foundation. The 2014 Garden Walk & Art Fair is set from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, July 13, rain or shine.